This will be the first of (hopefully) many posts where I’ll be exploring the “perfect” muscle building diet… and I’ll keep you updated on my results.
What makes for a perfect muscle building diet?
Well instead of thinking of the diet, think of what you want out of it:
- You want to optimize your sex hormones (less estrogen, more testosterone, etc)…
- You want to gain lean muscle…
- You want to burn fat, preferrably using it as fuel…
- You want energy to spare…
- You don’t want to be a “slave” to food (having to eat 6-8x per day)…
- You want to be able to ENJOY your food…
Most experts would tell you it’s impossible… but I think I may have found the perfect solution. You don’t have to starve yourself, you don’t have to eat foods you hate (in fact you can eat EVERYTHING you’re already eating now), and you don’t have to be analytical and count every single calorie you ingest (or WANT to ingest!)
How is this possible? It’s a combination of two very powerful ways of eating:
First: Intermittent fasting (IF)!
Very simply this is alternating times of undereating, or no food, with periods of time of overeating. People do this for various time periods but the type I’m going to focus on here would be the warrior diet of 20 hour fasts and 4 hour feedings (for maintenance and fat burning/losing weight), and the LeanGains’ fast of 16hrs and 4hr feedings (for building muscle while staying super lean!)
I feel this is an easily adapted eating method for most people. You can get up, get out the door, forget about food and focus on work, play, or whatever and never worry about having to eat all day. Then you can go to the gym, get strong, build muscle, burn fat, whatever… then break your fast with a recovery drink and eat a big meal with your family or friends when you get home.
I LOVE this style of eating. Not just for the lifestyle benefits either, the health benefits are second to none:
- Burns Fat: the hours of going without food force your body to use fat for fuel
- Muscle Gaining: your body will use the excess calories you eat during the overeating to fuel your muscles (because of your workouts) instead of going to fat gain
- Detoxifying: the hours of no food helps your body detox itself
- Reducing insulin resistance: to improve your health and promote a lean body
- Lifespan extension: there are tons of scientific studies proving a reduced calorie diet extends lifespan
- Improved Growth Hormone response: during exercise and sleep, helping you build more muscle and burn more fat, and stay younger longer
- Stomach health: giving your digestive system “rest” during the fast helps a lot
- Increased brain function: the “fight or flight” hormones are elevated during fasting, which cause clearer more alert brain functioning…
- Better liver function: during the fast, important for health and fat burning
- Disease prevention and anti-aging: more benefits like this from the reduced calorie diet/intermittent fasting studies…
“But All The Experts Say I Have To Eat 6-8x Times A Day?”
For more information on why the standard advice of “eat every 3hrs or you’ll get fat and burn muscle for food” is totally and completely wrong, read my article on the 6 meals a day diet myth. Then for more information on the basics of IF go read Mike’s IF 101 article.
Clearly, to design the ultimate muscle building, fat burning, healthiest diet — Intermittent Fasting is a must!
So what about the “nuts and bolts”? I know you’re wondering “what would I actually EAT in those few hours of overeating?” That’s part two to this amazing diet formula…
Second: The Anabolic Diet!
The Anabolic Diet is Dr. Mauro Di Pasquale’s solution to build muscle & lose fat. Here’s the basics:
- Monday-Friday: High protein, high fat and low Carb…
- Weekends: High carbs, low protein and low fat…
Fatty red meat is your main protein on this diet because it’s high in cholesterol and saturated fat which increases your good sex hormones (testosterone, growth hormone and helps stabilize insuline)… and eating low carb throughout the week (5 days) forces your body to use fat for energy!
During the week you’re just eating meats and veggies and during the weekend you can eat all the carbs you’ve been craving, so you never have to stop eating the foods you love… you just have to change WHEN you eat them.
Plus, you won’t feel like you’re starving yourself on this diet because you’re eating so much fat and protein which helps stabilize insulin levels and leaves you feeling full (along with the healthy doses of fiber from the veggies).
And just in case you’re wondering: YES, you’ve been lied to again — eating a ton of fat and protein is actually good for you, healthy, etc… it’s MUCH better overall than the high carb/low fat and protein garbage that passes for the “American Food Pyramid guide to eating” (there’s a reason obesity is the standard, NOT the exception, in America!)
I’ve been doing intermittent fasting for a while now (over a year)… now I’m going to expand into eating the anabolic way. I just started this past week, and already I’m feeling leaner and more “anabolic” I’ll keep my blog updated with my results as time goes by.
In my opinion when you combine the natural fat burning, muscle building, hormon increasing, health giving effects of changing WHEN you eat (with Intermittent Fasting) plus the natural fat burning, muscle building, hormonal and health benefits of eating anabolically (with the Anabolic Diet)… This is a pretty powerful muscle building, fat burning diet plan for success!